My career spans over 40 years and includes work in agricultural and environmental communications on five continents for international development centres and the private sector. I have highly developed skills in writing, editing, photography, desktop publishing, website development and social media campaigning. I draw from a solid academic background in the sciences and development communication. I have been in managerial positions for more than 20 years.
- 1980. Graduated with high honors from the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point with major degree in biology and minor degrees in environmental education, writing and museum methodology.
- 1981-83. United States Peace Corps Volunteer in Costa Rica. Assigned to the Universidad Estatal a Distancia (UNED) and Fundación de Parques Nacionales to promote awareness via audiovisuals about the importance of the infant national park system in Costa Rica.
- 1983-86. Agricultural and environmental communications consultant and freelance photographer. Offered services to national, international and non-profit organisations in Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Honduras.
- 1986-87. Completed a Master of Science in agricultural journalism (development communication emphasis) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and graduated with highest honours. Conducted MSc. thesis research entitled Participatory Communication in Development: Integrating Women into Forestry Projects in Costa Rica.
- 1988-90. Film scriptwriter, sound technician and photography instructor for the Department of Agricultural Journalism, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- 1990-1993. Training Materials Specialist and Head of Graphic Arts and Photography Divisions at the International Centre for Dryland Agriculture (ICARDA) in Aleppo, Syria.
- 1993-1995. Agricultural Communications Specialist based in Cali, Columbia. Principal client was the Center for International Tropical Agriculture (CIAT). Began work in website development during the days of the infancy of the World Wide Web.
- 1995-2004. Editor-in-chief, Winetitles, Adelaide, Australia. Served as editor of The Australian and New Zealand Wine Industry Journal and The Australian and New Zealand Wine Industry Directory. Created Winebiz, the website development division of Winetitles. Won Gold Ladle at the 1999 World Food Media Awards for Best Wine or Beverage CD-ROM or Website. Awarded Bell Award in 2002 and 2003 for Australia’s Best Printed Directory.
- 2004-2017. Director of Michael Major Media Pty Ltd.
- 2017-2020. Science Communications Specialist, Crop Trust, Bonn, Germany. Developed ideas, sourced information, produced feature stories in support of the Crop Trust’s mission; managed and updated websites as to content, design and user experience; wrote and assisted in production of various annual reports; photographed projects in Lebanon, India, Kenya, Morocco, Belgium, England and Peru.
- 2020-present. Director of Michael Major Media Pty Ltd.